Friday, June 5, 2009

The "Needs" of the Internet

I can't help but wonder just what I'd be doing right now if it weren't for the internet. I've just spent 30 minutes doing nothing important on my face book, when really I need to be packing. But of course, before I get offline, I need to check my email, in which I will do when I'm done with this blog, you know, because I need to, and probably half the time I need to check my bank account and what's the other one, oh yeah, my space account is important too, especially if my email lets me know that I have a message or a comment. Wooh, that was a really long sentence dedicated to the internet. Please don't get this particular post wrong, I'm not complaining, just analyzing my needs for the internet. It's fun. And everything in moderation is good. I just hope I'm not moderating or barely acknowledging the Man upstairs in this whole shindig scenario everyday. I mean, habits repeat themselves, and right now I'm in the habit of not doing a lot of things I know I really and truly need to do. Come on, let's say them together- Bible reading, I am sooo longing to get deep into it- and my excuse of waiting for the Bible study book I'm about to go through with a friend really isn't a good excuse; next one- prayer. I mean I pray but do I pray... no. I don't spend quality time in prayer. But there's probably a lot of people out there who really need what I'm not doing, because everyone needs a good prayer every now and then; And exercise- I do need that... for more reasons than one, and we all know them. I just wish I would stick with the things I start in this department.

And I'm sure there's more things that I need to do. But now that I've confessed, it's your turn. Just kidding, do whatever you need to do... Right. I am very happy with the internet and the connections it's give us all. We just can't let it connect us too much to itself. I hope this makes sense.

So what would I really be doing now if it hadn't been invented? There's always the possibilities of watching TV or a movie, or reading a good book, or the Book, or writing an old fashioned letter. Man, what did we do before internet? Really, I'd like to know. Hopefully, it's more interesting than reading the random news stories on my email account about Gwyneth Paltrow's goopy legs that stirred curiosity on the Tonight Show. Okay, right now my need is to finish packing, read some scriptures, say a quality prayer, and go to sleep. And no, I didn't look up that news story, although, it almost got me, I was curious. Aaah, maybe I'll looke it up tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. So true. The internet is dangerous with its worldly distractions as is everything else. But just like this blog, it gives us Christians a great opportunity for fellowship and witnessing!

    Praise God that we may use any resources we have for His will!

    ReplyDelete